Close  
Current
Spot
Price


Gold:
$1,255.04 /oz

Silver:
$16.52 /oz

Platinum:
$937.75 /oz

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

 

Q: Can I trust you to give me a fair price for my Gold items?

A. Yes you can.

 

Q: What kind of gold or other jewelry do you buy?

A: Listed below are just some of the items we buy from our satisfied customers:

Class Rings
Gold pins/Brooches
Cocktail Rings
10k, 14k, 16k, 18k, 24k
Wedding Bands
Scrap Dental Gold
Cluster Rings Gold Necklaces
Gold Watches Gold Coins
Bent/Scrap Jewelry Gold Bracelets
Unmatched Gold Earrings Gold Medals
Items with missing stones Charms
Gold Pins/Brooches
Lockets
Broken Gold Chains and other jewelry
 
Scrap Dental Gold
Sterling Silver
Platinum  

 

Q: What if I'm not sure something is made of gold?

A: You can bring us anything that looks like it's made of or has gold. Our staff will determine whether they are actually gold and pay accordingly. If the items are not gold, they will be computed as gold-filled material and yield fractional amounts, which you will also be paid for. Click here to read our easy-to-understand "PURITY OF GOLD SECTION" at the bottom of this page.

 

Q: What is the price of Gold?

A. The price of Gold and other precious metals fluctuate daily based on trading in international markets. When we evaluate an item for payment, we use the "spot Gold price" as of 9AM PST on that day. You can always see the current spot price of Gold, Silver, and Platinum on our floating price chart; look to the right.

 

The purity of Gold

In the United States the purity of gold is designated by karat. Pure gold is 24k, but because of its softness, it is not suitable for making jewelry. Other metals such as copper, silver, nickel, and zinc are added to gold to strengthen it. What is added and how much is added determine the color and karat of the gold.

To make this easier to understand, let's take an imaginary ring and examine it. The color of the metal is immediately apparent. Gold comes in several colors, but let's pretend that this ring is pink gold. Inside the ring is stamped 10k. What do these things tell us? First, that the gold was mixed with copper, silver and zinc to make yellow gold. The pink look was achieved by using a larger quantity of copper. The 10k mark assures that 41.67% of the metal is pure gold, and the other 58.33% is copper, silver and zinc. It also indicates that the piece was made in the United States. (other countries do not use 10k). A 14k stamping would mean that the ring contained 58.33% gold and 41.67% other metals. If the ring was marked 18k, it would contain 75% pure gold and 25% other metals.

In Europe, gold is stamped according to its fineness. Pure gold is 1000 fine; 18k gold is 75% or 750 fine. Consequently, an 18k ring made in Europe would be stamped 750. Below is a chart of the most common karat markings.

US / Karats % of Gold Fineness
24k 100% 1000
22k 91.60% 916
18k 75.00% 750
14k 58.33% 583
10k 41.67% 417
9k 37.50% 375
8k 33.30% 333

I've been in jewelry stores all over Southern Cal. Never have I met more pleasant, honest and knowledgeable jewelers. I had a number of watches that needed batteries and adjusting...Joel and Lorraine treated each watch like it was a fine piece of jewelry (even the knockoffs!)...Joel fixed the ones in front of me that he could, had the rest ready the next day. They were pleasant to talk to and not pushy in any way. They have beautiful jewelry, including many of Joel's personal designs - I would highly recommend them to anybody!!
The best I have been visiting Joel at his establishment for as long as I can remember (helps that he has been there for over 25 years!!!). I have really valued my relationship with Joel because he is a genuine and fair man. As soon as I found out that he had started a website for buying gold I told all my friends who did not live in Southern California to send their gold to Joel with one of his Pay-Day Pak's. It is simple and I assured my friends that they won't find a better price on their old gold!!! Thanks Joel!!
Best Place to Buy and Sell! I have been a happy customer of Joel's for over 20 years! He and his staff are the nicest and most honest people I have ever dealt with in the jewelry business! I also sell my jewelry to Joel, and I am always confident that I will get the highest price! I would never go anywhere else! Thanks Joel!!!
Trustworthy I have been a customer of Joels for over 12 years now. You will never find anyone more honest or sincere in what he does. He is a definite "Gem"!
I had a gold bracelet I wanted to sell, and was unsure of where to go. I happened to come across Joels Gold store online and after looking into, I decided to go there. I was incredibly impressed with his store!! SO professional, and most importantly, HONEST!! I recommend his store to anyone looking to sell jewelry.